Jeepin the USA!

Go Back   Jeepin the USA! > Jeep Talk Spoken Here

Jeep Talk Spoken Here No sense being too complicated until (unless?) posts and traffic warrant categories to be set up. Who wants to search through dozens of forums anyway?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Rich Z
Administrator

Default Lifting truck bed on Chevy Silverado

I know this really has nothing at all to do with Jeeps, but maybe someone will find it of interest.

Connie's truck has been acting up lately (gas gauge going bonkers, hard starting after it sat for a couple of days) so I figured the fuel pump needed to be replaced. I called the local Chevy dealership to see what they charge, and got a price just shy of $1,000. Not including tax and other incidentals they always add into the bill. A brand new Delphi fuel pump from Summit Racing was only $190. Heck, I could see where I could save $800!

Anyway, I watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to change out the fuel pump, and there seemed to be three methods commonly employed:
  1. Drop the fuel tank from underneath.
  2. Lift the bed off and set it down somewhere out of the way.
  3. Remove the bed bolts on one side, loosen the other side, and tilt the bed up and out of the way.

I decided on trying a fourth method. Use the left arms ABOVE the bed, and lift the bed up. Then with muscle power, roll the truck forward about three feet or so, leaving the fuel pump exposed and easy to get to.

This proved to be very easy to do. The pump was very easy to get to, and could be pulled straight up and out of the gas tank. Had to solder in a new and improved electrical connector, however, since apparently the pumps have changed a bit since 2001.

Putting the bed back on was a snap, too. Simply rolled the truck back to where it had been when the bed was lifted off (I marked the floor as to where the tires needed to be), insert the bolts with a little minor positioning of the bed. Then tightened everything down and put things the way they were before getting ready for the lift, and done.

Oh, I also replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator earlier.

All in all, a relatively easy way to keep $800 in my wallet.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote