Jeepin the USA!

Go Back   Jeepin the USA! > Jeep Talk Spoken Here
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Jeep Talk Spoken Here No sense being too complicated until (unless?) posts and traffic warrant categories to be set up. Who wants to search through dozens of forums anyway?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Rich Z
Administrator

Well, that didn't work out how I had hoped it would. First off the advertising text is misleading saying that it will work on a stock Wrangler. Yes, it will, as long as you are willing to CUT the rear brake light housing behind the spare tire and put on an extension to lift the light over the gas tank. And that brings up another point. One thing I thought I liked about this gas tank was that it would fit behind my STOCK rear tire, and be unobtrusive and not attract thieves intent on siphoning out the gasoline in it. Well, looks that way in the pics, doesn't it? Except those pics are showing the tank behind an oversized tire. With the stock tire, it will stick quite a bit above the tire, and, of course, you have to extend that rear brake light too.

Which brings up yet another point. Remember the limited view you have out of that rear window? Well, it just got a LOT more limited with that gas tank mounted. A LOT...

Well damn......

I actually looked into possibly replacing the rear bumper and tire carrier, because I had REALLY had my hopes up for this Titan gas tank, but honestly the cost couldn't be justified by the limited use I would get out of that gas tank. Heck, even at the list price I was having trouble justifying that cost. I had thought it would come in handy when Connie and I take our trip out west, where gas stations might not be as conveniently located as they are here in north Florida. But how many times will that happen? Once? Twice? No, sorry, I just couldn't swallow that pill.

Fortunately Titan was real good about taking it back. I never mounted the gas tank, obviously, and had only taken off the plastic wrap to inspect the parts and pull out the installation manual. Since that is when I discovered the little wrinkle about cutting the rear brake light housing, I just put everything back the way it was, and put it all back into the box. Titan prepaid the shipping back to them and gave me a FULL refund on what I paid, including the shipping charge to me. So at least I didn't have to take a punch to the chin on this. I was disappointed enough as it was about this, but at least it didn't cost me any money adding insult to injury.

Granted, likely most people interested in a spare gas tank like this will likely already have a modded Jeep for it to mount to, and the issues mentioned above will be non issues to them. But so far, I'm not really inclined to modify our Jeep to the extent needed in order to be able to really use this item. And honestly, the greatly reduced view from the rear window is a BIG negative drawback. I find it real handy to be able to see what is in back of me, and not real inclined to give that up except for a much better reason that what this spare gas tank offers.
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote